Tuesday 26 September 2017

Teaser Tuesday: Let Me In


Every Tuesday I will share a teaser from Work in Progress' only.
So it will be teasers from all unpublished manuscripts. Nothing from already published books.

This weeks teaser is from a WIP that I keep hacking away at every now and again. The characters are active in my mind I just seem to be up against a wall with it at the moment. It currently stands at just over 10K and the working titles is, Let Me In. 

Please remember it is still a rough draft so there will be mistakes and details are subject to change.

~ * ~

Paige rolled the tumbler between her thumb and index finger. “And this extra shot”-she waggled her finely plucked eyebrows-“a purposely chosen sweet cherry is to, Lia. May tonight be filled with some sexy fun, all of which will propel you in to a tomorrow full of some sort of renewed hope rather than regret.”
“Thanks, I guess.”
Following her direction I lifted the shot glass – the last of six – and knocked the sweet liquid back. My eyelids fluttered as the final hit of “liquid courage” ran down my throat and heated my insides to another degree. A shudder ran the length of my spine, and with one slow and deep breath, I shook off my previous tension.
The bang of glass on wood forced my focus back to the ladies sitting around me.
“Right, you know the rules girls; peruse the crowd and find yourself a man.” Paige lifted her fingers and pointed to her eyes. “Make eye contact, and if he gives you a smile, a “come hither,” or basically eye fucks you; you get your ass over there and tell him he is going home with you tonight.” She pulled ten dollars from her cleavage and placed it on the table. “If he is susceptible to that fabulous idea, then whoever is unlucky tonight gets to keep your ten dollars for another couple of rounds and a cab ride home.”
“All is fair in love and war, baby.” Michaela stood up and threw a ten dollar note on to the table. “And that blond is mine, all mine. Wish him luck, ladies, because he is going to need his strength tonight.”
We watched with amusement as Michaela prowled toward the blond. A coy smile curled his lips as she pushed up against him and whispered in his ear. Her hand landed on his chest, lingering, before she pulled away and walked into the crowd. A sultry glance over her shoulder, and the blond handed his beer bottle to his mate and followed without hesitation.
“God, she makes it look so easy,” Cindy commented with a shake of her head.
“It is that easy.” Paige leant across the table. “The main reason people come to clubs is because they want to hook up with someone for the night.”
“Silly me, I was always under the impression the point of a club was to come dancing and have fun.” I replied.
She cocked her head to the side. “Oh sweetie, you are not that naive. And playing dumb is not going to get you out of the game.” Paige glanced over her shoulder. “So, on that note, who is the lucky guy going to be?”
“No idea.” I shrugged, and looked out at the mass of bodies crowding the club. “This may take me a while.”
“Oh, I’m in no hurry for you to pick.” She twisted round, and draped one leg over the other. “I have a backup plan in the form of the sexy ass bartender.” She folded her arms and shot me a smile. “So, I’m good to wait.”
“Remind me again, how does putting myself out there to be used for one night actually help my self-esteem?”
“This isn’t about self esteem. This is about fun; sexy, dirty, orgasmic fun.”
“Oh, so I have fun and then continue to feel like crap once it is over? Right, now I remember why this is a really idiotic game.”
She rolled her eyes. “Just pick or I will pick for you.”
“Go ahead and pick. I’m not going up to some stranger and saying, “hey baby, wanna get in my panties, so I can feel like shit in the morning.”
“Now, the first part might actually work. Just stop talking after the word panties, push your tits together, and bat your eyelashes. Simple.”
Grabbing the twenty dollars from the table, I stood up. “I’m getting a drink. Anyone who isn’t interested in feeling cheap in the morning want one?”
Cindy raised her hand. I glanced at Loretta who nodded.
“You use to be fun.” Paige sighed, and stood up. “Shaun has really-”
“Done enough. So, please stop reminding me.” The words felt like gravel in my mouth as I bit them out. Twisting round, my shoulder met with a solid wall of muscle. Stumbling to a halt, I looked up and an apology died on my tongue. Amber eyes looked down at me from the sexiest face I had ever seen in my life; high cheekbones, a roman nose, and a fine layer of hair covered a well angled jaw. His skin was the richest tone of copper, and his dark hair fell back in waves and stopped just under his ears.
“Sorry.” The words fell from my lips too silent for the stranger to have heard me, but his lips twisted at the corners.
His large hand came to rest on the small of my back, his fingertips hot, and rough against my bare skin. He leaned in, pressing his mouth to my ear. “It was my fault entirely.” His breath skated down my neck causing goosebumps to rise over every inch of my flesh A shudder racked down my spine. “And I’m happy to take the blame.”
My mouth watered at the scent of his spicy cologne. A blush claimed my entire body as he pulled a breath away and gazed down at me. His focus slipped further, resting on my breasts which felt restricted in the idiotic and binding dress.
“As an apology I insist you have a drink with me.”

Copyright © 2017, Let Me In,  Elizabeth Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment